September 15, 2017

Sedona hiking

We took our second annual, September "escape the inferno" trip to Flagstaff last week.
It was blissful.

We hit up Donut Coral on the way out of Yuma.  It's on the other side of town, so we've only been once, but they have fresh croissants!


Colin only wanted carrots for breakfast.  True story.  He ate half the bag.


Ben planned a perfect hike for us in Sedona along the way.  It was my favorite.
West Fork trail:


The trail was lined with apple trees and different berry bushes and we saw all kinds of different insects.  We saw a ton of these caterpillars that really freaked the kids out.






 
 
We hiked a little over 3 miles and Colin wanted to keep going.  He was fearless jumping from rock to rock through the river; we started calling him our little ninja.


 So every trip has it's not so glamorous parts.  This one involved a little boy who refused to use the bathroom while traveling, which made him not so excited to be hiking at moments.  I can't really blame him, he was a whole lot tougher than I would be if I hadn't used the restroom all day.  We got in the car to finish the drive to Flagstaff and Colin asked Eli if he had a fun time.  He responded with a short "no"...although, I assure you he did have lots of moments of fun and where he said he was having a great time.  Colin answered him, "Oh, I understand.  I was scared a little too, but it's okay to be scared sometimes.  I sure did think that giant rock was going to fall on our head, but it didn't!"



One of the best decisions Ben and I ever made was to set up a system to make these little trips happen.  For some reason, they are just what refreshes us and I am so thankful for them.


No comments: