January 7, 2018

New Year's Eve

This year, we tried to pick back up on some traditions.  Long ago, we said New Year's eve we would make a kielke or verinky and it hasn't happened since 2011!  I made kielke this year and it was extra special because my mom shipped us sausage.  I meant to make pickles, but forgot, so store bought had to suffice for this year.

Colin loves helping, almost as much as he loves bike riding.  He can't get enough bike riding these days.  He came inside to get a drink and when he saw me cooking, he had to jump in on the mixing action.


Alison requested Great Aunt Irene's peanut butter pie, so I taught her how to make it.


 

Dinner was so good, it made me feel like I was back at grandma's table, with pigtails in my hair, sitting on the white stool that all the grandkids fought over.  The kids loved it too, which made me really happy.
My favorite picture of the night; Ben finishing off the food...that's how good it was :). Maya was even waiting for a bite.


Then we made s'mores on the firepit and did some sparklers.





Fireworks on New Year's here is almost comparable to the war zone feel Michigan had on Fourth of July.  It was so loud until around 2 am that none of slept very well that night.  It wasn't exactly how we wanted to ring in the new year, but we are looking forward to many great adventures in 2018!


No comments: