February 17, 2019

Valentine's Day

We had the best Valentine's Day!

Our homeschool group was having a party, so this was the first year the boys have passed out Valentine's. 
Signing his cards like a champ

Trying to explain to them the whole process was hilarious and definitely one of those moments that makes you think, "How did this tradition start???".  I tried to explain how a party would work if they were in public school and Eli looked at me with a shocked look and said, "Wait.  Kids have to go to school on Valentine's Day?!?!  Boy, I sure am glad I'm homeschooled and then I can have the whole day to celebrate."
Alison spent a lot of time on her box; making a little door at the top to put treats in and each side had a different decoration.  The boys did not understand the point of the box and were happy with decorating bags (which thankfully fit right in with this group of kids).  Somehow Alison's room has become somewhat of the craft room and she took them in there one day to teach them the ropes of Valentine's crafting.



Valentine's Day morning, I made the kids heart shaped pancakes, eggs with bacon (what else says love like bacon) and hot chocolate.


Then we were off to the party!


Colin had on a cute red sweater, but got too hot.  Eli did not understand why he should wear red, so he chose to wear his current favorite outfit.

The kids decorated cookies and made a craft.


I was so impressed with the mom who made the sugar cookies; Minecraft ones for the boys!



The party was on base and Ben came over to surprise us :)


Eli may not have decorated a box, but he turned his box of candy into a car.





After everyone passed out the candy, it was time to discover all the treats; the favorite was the Valentine robot.


My favorite quote of the day was from Alison.  We got in the car and she said, "Wow.  Homeschool kids are SO creative!".  I was also impressed; there were a lot of non-candy treats that they were just as excited about.


When we got home, Colin meticulously looked through all of his goodies.  I love how much he appreciated each one.



Then Daddy came home with even more treats!
Alison has been dreaming of getting a box of chocolates :)



And I have been dreaming about these flowers!  They have had them set up at Target from a local farm and make me smile every time I see them.


We ended our day with a charcuterie and some games.


Ha!  I'm just now noticing that you can see Maya's nose popping up on the table in that last picture.  She must have smelled that yummy meat...

No comments: