May 10, 2018

When things go right

It is so easy to focus on the to-do list of curriculums and chores, which often makes for some tense days of constantly dishing out commands.  Our house was feeling the affects of this last week; attitudes were sour, obedience was painfully slow and there were several bouts of tears.  After lots of prayer, some discipline and a refocus on the positive, this week has been SO much better.  Actually, this week has been a delight. 

Eli has finally accepted his real name and now writes it on all his school papers.  He says it's his fancy name.  He gave me his autograph one day:


I know I'm not giving credit where it is due, but someone gave us this book many moons ago and our kids have always LOVED it.  Jalapeno Bagels is about a family operated bakery and it has recipes of the food talked about in the back.  Eli picked up the book for reading time this week and realized that we had everything we needed for Chongo Bars (I can't believe he's old enough to figure that out!) and asked if he could make them.


He did a great job and they were super yummy!


One of my favorite things we've done this year is a huge timeline for history.  I like seeing how everything fits together and the kids like drawing things that they are learning.  Or maybe they really love that they get to stand on the couch to draw :). We had a stack of dates to add and were able to catch up today because Alison was a school warrior this week and finish everything early.


I found that reading with Colin goes the best if he thinks I'm distracted (basically if I'm not hovering over him).  He has been doing amazing when we do this: 2:00 is set reading time (so there's no surprises or arguments), he munches on a snack, I prep dinner and he reads to me.  He is still only making it through a couple of sentences before he feeling really done, but I think he's made huge strides in the last few weeks.

No comments: