July 31, 2008

Good Ole' Home on the Range

-just a side note before I start the blog. For the past 3 years the ice cream man has been my nemeses. For 6 months out of the year this dumpy truck drives around all day playing way too loudly Home on the Range-THIS IS NOT THE RANGE! Agh! One day it played a different song and for a moment I was relieved...until I realized it was a Christmas song. So if you are ever looking for a good side to high gas prices, just think of the ice cream man. I haven't heard that obnoxious song in a month thanks to $4.30 a gallon! Anyway, the point: it's always nice to get back to the real range.

We've been gone the last week and a half. Ben went to Romania to work in the same orphanage we did 6 years ago. He had an amazing experience, but I'll let him tell the story in another post. I have a feeling if you could adopt from Romania we would have a few extra kids in the house right now-which I have to confess would be 100% ok with me. I've always dreamed of adopting kids and I will be thrilled if we have the opportunity to one day. Alison and I went to Kansas for a week. Ben and my dad arranged the trip so I wouldn't be home alone for the long trip and I'm glad they did. I got to spend a lot of time with my niece and see her grow and change. She started cooing and it just made my day hearing her voice. I love being an Aunt. Alison wanted to be the baby one day so I put her in Beth's sling she has for baby Kate. I thought it was more funny than she did.



Alison loves eating at Grandma and Grandpa's. I think she's going to grow up thinking a day consists of 2 dinners because we feed her dinner at 5 and then we eat around 6:30, but she insists on eating our food too-even if she got the exact same thing earlier. Every food we put in front of her she loved; even things I tried giving her at home and she refused. She had her first Vareniky meal and then enjoyed a fruit platter with grandpa. For goodness sakes she even ate tomatoes! Ben and I hate tomatoes!












We took Alison out on the boat to make sure she would be okay for our upcoming vacation. Kids are unpredictable and about the time you think they'll be great, they trick you and something makes them upset you didn't see coming. Alison showed that she has some Yoder blood in her and she loved every minute of it. We stopped several times to jump in the water and Grandpa taught her how to jump off the back of the boat. The only problem was then we couldn't keep her in the boat. She loved the water and would just lay back on the vest and relax. When I said, "Swim to the boat" she would splash her hands in the water like she was swimming and when I said, "be a boat" she would buzz her lips like the motor. We sat up front and the first picture shows you Alison's hair style after a bumpy ride across Clinton Lake. I thought the life jacket would bug her because it sure did bug me trying to carry her in it, but she didn't seem to mind. The last picture is one of my new favorite pictures. She was helping Grandpa drive, but I have no idea what the expression means. People have been telling me a lot lately that she is very expressive. I suppose it's a good thing, but I need a manual for what they mean.

I went to dinner with some friends and our good friend Katherine came over with her daughter Anna.






Alison loved playing the piano, yet another thing I don't understand why she only does at Grandma and Grandpa's. She spent a lot of time climbing up the stairs and she will now walk holding only one hand. She also started standing up on her own without pulling up on anything. The funniest thing she started doing was saying consistently "Bop, Bop" and "Ding, Ding" and I teased my parents that she had new names for them.


We attempted a cousins photo shoot with the matching outfits my mom bought them. It didn't turn out very well since Alison was trying to crawl away and Kate would cry every time we set her down. Alison tried to help quiet her, but it still didn't make for a good picture.




My baby turned 1 today. Pictures to come tomorrow.

1 comment:

edj3 said...

What a fun time you guys had! I love the pictures from the boat, and everyone is right, Alison is VERY expressive. And I bet you are right that she's renamed your parents. I did that to my mother's parents, that's why they were called Mana and G'Pa. Never underestimate the power of a baby to get people to accept strange new names.