August 1, 2008

1 year old-WOW!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALISON!!!.

First we celebrated a successful first year with Grandma, Grandpa and Cara. We made her Funfetti cupcakes-the same thing I asked for every year for my birthday growing up, minus the sprinkle frosting. Alison loves sharing her food, so I decided to let her get me messy too and join the fun.

















When Ben got home yesterday we had our own family party. I realized through yesterday's craziness of getting Ben home and preparing for the party that July 31st will always be a day of labor for me. Throughout the day I would tell Alison what was happening exactly 1 year ago, and as I was telling her I was cleaning, driving through traffic, pacing the airport, icing a chocolate cake(which was super frustrating because crumbs kept getting in the frosting), putting up decorations, cleaning, cooking, entertaining and the list goes on. I was exhausted and I realized that for the rest of Alison's life this day will be busy, a lot of hard work and exhausting, but completely worth it. Maybe I really had it easy a year ago. I had nurses to take her during the night, Ben changed all the diapers and I laid in bed.
Alison's first taste of Chocolate





2 comments:

katherine said...

Happy birthday, Alison! And well done, Jen. I don't know if your observations are meant to be amusing but I laughed out loud. You're funny. And very right. Raising a child is a lot of work, particularly on the birthday day.

edj3 said...

I couldn't tell from the picture, but did she like her first taste of chocolate? GREAT pictures and wonderful updates--thank you, Jen and Ben, for being so faithful with this blog.