December 19, 2008

It's a blizzard!!!

I was woken early this morning by a teething kiddo. When I sat down on the couch to get cozy and watch some Sesame Street, I found a blizzard was right outside. All schools were canceled and the news poured in stories of horrible road conditions. Of course this was the one morning we really needed to get out! It was Ben's last day in the office and we needed to pick the Honda up from the shop. Apparently the crazy black squirrels in Michigan like to not only eat through your trash bags, but they like to eat your car wiring as well. Yep, that's right. A squirrel (or as the dealer put it, some small animal) chewed through a wiring panel under our car and the whole shebang had to be replaced. Thanks to the "small animal" insurance covered it and we were spared the couple thousand dollar bill. Conveniently this all happened a couple of days before Ben was supposed to drive it down to Virginia. So, being the prayerfully flexible people that we are, we rented a car and Ben drove the van down instead. Well, my prayer was answered and the Honda was fixed and the insurance mess was taken care of before we have to leave Michigan. However, when I looked outside this morning I decided it was worth the money to have the rental car for one more day and I tried to convince Ben to stay home from work. He wasn't persuaded and ventured out to shovel the driveway. Alison and I spent the day at home staying warm and finishing up some packing. Once it stopped snowing we went outside, but only for a couple of minutes since we were not snow-proof. I really wanted to throw her in the huge mound of snow and teach her how to make snow angels...maybe next year. I watched several cars throughout the day get stuck in our street and spend hours trying to get out. I wanted to help, but I knew me and a 1 year old were not really going to do more than lend moral support. Our POD was supposed to get to our house between 12 and 4pm. They called Ben and told him that because of the weather it might not make it here today and they don't deliver on the weekend. The Lord was gracious to us again and the POD did eventually make it to our house. Ben got home around 6 and shoveled the driveway for the second time (as George Boomer said this morning, "what's worse than shoveling a foot of snow is knowing that you have a snow blower in the garage-but it won't start"). I made a phone call and then realized that I hadn't heard Ben for awhile and began to worry. I know I'm the biggest worry-wort, but I went outside to check on him anyway. I walked around the house and there still was no sign of him. As I made my way to the front, I saw our huge POD at the end of the street...stuck...with a little silhouette of Ben shoveling it out. Ben was my hero today. He shoveled the driveway, dug out a POD, made moving arrangements, bought groceries and made pizza for dinner. He can't move his arms right now, but he's still my hero.

No comments: