December 9, 2008

We Have a Home!!!

We officially have a home in Smithfield Virginia!!! It was a long, and not completely over process. I looked at a condo across the street from Ben's new office on my trip and really liked it. They told me we couldn't live there because of our cats but a couple of days later called back to say that the builder was finishing up a couple units and was going to rent them out. We sent them an application and a deposit and waited to hear what unit we would live in. Weeks went by and they kept saying that they were waiting for the builder to sign papers over so they could lease them out. It turns out that the builder decided to lease them out themselves and didn't do such a great job communicating that to the realtor we were talking with. So she's sending us our deposit back and we've contacted the builder directly. The lease papers are signed and we are set to go (minus the fact we're still waiting for our large check to get back to us so we can turn around and get it to the right people). Ben's driving the car down next Monday and then flying back so we can all drive together when we move. I'm thankful that he can take a car full of nessessities with him so we won't have to worry about it first thing when we get there. So, here are the pictures of our new home on Ginger Loop (why, oh why do we get the funkiest street names?).
George graciously took these pictures for us. I don't have a clue who the man is in the shot, but it's not George. Kitchen (with new, clean appliances!) and dining room
Living room with a gas fireplace looking into the veranda (big room with lots of windows) and master bedroom. I'm so thankful to have a fireplace. I always wanted one here in Michigan, where I needed it the most!
New bathtub that's mold free!!!
Walk in closet. I fully appreciate closet space now. The house we live in now only has one closet. I'm not sure how we've made it all these years. Actually, now that I look at it, this closet is about the size of Alison current room. Oh, I can't wait to get her some new toys and make her room a really fun play room.
This is why Ben wanted the place. I hope he actually parks in it. Not that he'll ever use his car, since the office is two steps away. It makes my heart pitter patter when I think of all the money we'll save in our gas budget.
This is how Alison felt when she heard the news

Everybody's been asking me how packing is going. Packing is going fine, except that every time I work on it I feel guilty. I know it's something that has to be done, but look what has happened to my baby.
I usually only put Sesame Street at 9 and during that time Alison usually plays until Elmo's World comes on during the last 15 minutes. Well, lately she's been sitting quietly in her princess chair for the entire thing. So when I let her watch 3 Sesame Streets a day...that's a lot of sitting! Granted it is cold and flu season and I'm working extra hard to keep this kiddo sick free, so a little rest won't harm her, but I don't want her to turn into a TV head! I was feeling so guilty today(for goodness sakes I've even resulted to letting her have her binki during non-nap time), but I kept reassuring myself that it's only for a short time. As soon as we get to Virginia we're getting her the best play room around and there will be no more sitting.

Since we can't decorate the house for Christmas I've been playing Christmas music non-stop. Ben whipped out this piano, that we've been storing our entire marriage that I've never actually seen, so we could sing some songs tonight as a family. This is a clip of Alison trying to sing with daddy as he was warming up the piano.

1 comment:

katherine said...

I love how she swings her head around when she's singing. I feel guilty just about every time I let Anna watch TV unless we're in the car and then what else is she going to do (especially b/c she still faces backwards). There was a point during Dylan's treatment that Anna was watching about an hour a day. I just couldn't deal with her. When we got back on our feet it was a fight to get her to stop begging for the TV but now she's back to playing with other toys again. This too shall pass, right? Your new home looks nice but the photos were microscopic. =)