June 18, 2013

Colin's 1st Birthday!


We got some donuts, we headed to the zoo.
traditional picture on the turtle    
The kids were so calm as we strolled through the zoo and just quietly looked at the animals.


While Colin napped, Alison and Eli helped me clean up the house and decorate for our party.
We made funfetti cupcakes and they helped me decorate the top.  It's hard to see, but there's little letters on some of them spelling Colin.  They looked prettier in my head than in actual execution, but that's just the story of my decorating life.


Ben came home early from work, just as Colin got up from his nap and we were ready to party!
 

Ben and Alison picked up a pizza for us...

And then it was time for presents

His first bag consisted of: a snack trap, a new KU outfit and Nana and Granddaddy's card

Look!  He can stand for a second by himself!

Like a typical 1yr old, Colin didn't care too much about his presents.  
He was most excited about this blower that he could chew on.

 Alison and Eli, on the other hand, were thrilled with his presents. 

We really hit the present jackpot this year.  Elizabeth and Kent sent Colin the car with a bonus trailer and Ben and I bought a gas tank to go with it.  It was marvelous; no wrapping and all 3 kids had something to play with.  They would take turns pulling each other or being the "gas attendant".


The only downfall to the gift:
Ben, the night before...some assembly required=complete understatement
 We finally tore the kids away from the gifts to dig into the cupcakes.
I forgot how hard it is to do candles and 1 year olds...especially with Colin.  
He was quick to grab/eat the fire, so no cute pictures of him trying to blow it out.

I think he loved it, although I can't say it was his first bite of sugar.
Sorry 3rd baby.


 
Happy Birthday Colin!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

beautiful post! I love all of the pictures of Colin. He is so stinking cute! I love you!

edj3 said...

Jen, your writing just gets more and more real. I teared up reading this.

Kent J said...

We seem to have started a trend of gifts that require assembly. It's not intentional, but it's a very real trend.