April 22, 2014

Spring Break, Part 2


The highlight of our spring break was a visit from Nonny and Papa.  They traveled all the way from Idaho to see us!  They drove across the country, stopping to see family along the way.  We were their last stop and we got 3 very special days with them.

We started off with a walk at Windsor Castle trail.  It was much colder than I anticipated, but the fresh air was nice.  The trail is one of my most favorite places in the world and I loved being out there with my family.


Plus, it's not everyday that you get to go for a walk with your great grandparents.


I was so impressed with Nonny and Papa.  They are definitely not your typical great grandparents.  When we first got on the trail, Papa took the stroller and ran with Alison down the path.


After our walk, we had lunch at the Bakery, went to the Isle of Wight museum and the peanut store.  Then we got on the ferry and headed to Jamestown.  We explored for awhile and ended up eating ice cream in Williamsburg. 
*note to self: go back to Williamsburg when we have a whole day! 

The next day, Ben took Nonny, Papa and Alison to see the ships he works with and to the Fort Monroe museum.  I heard they had fun :)  The boys and I got ready for Easter.  When everyone returned home, we colored eggs.  We used the same technique as last year and I think I'll stick with it for a few years.  I put food coloring in shaving cream and then they painted the eggs.  It dries quickly and it's more active than just dropping it in water. 


I was snapping pictures when I realized that Eli was in Christmas pj's and Alison's in a snowflake shirt.  Is it sad that these attires are our "norm"? 


I broke out our traditional Easter treats...Starburst jellybeans and peeps.


I love Alison's face here.  Not sure why, but she reminds me of my sister.  She's giving me a "Mom. Don't tease me about peeps" look.  Surprisingly, they both loved the peeps.


I used those jellybeans to bribe Eli for everything that weekend.  Did you know that he will smile for a jellybean?


After eggs, we had an egg hunt and I actually put chocolate in them this year.



Then we started cooking food!  I made deviled eggs with left over hard boiled eggs (they didn't paint all of them).  Eli was convinced he liked them...he doesn't.


Nonny and Papa were trying to plan out their trip home , but kept getting interupted with little people.


We had our Easter dinner Saturday night and it was a fabulous decision.  I loved that there was no pressure to have food done at a certain time, or rushing to get it done after church.  We had ham, sweet potato casserole, real green bean casserole, zwiebach and cheesecake.  I'm sorry you could not all be here, because it was amazing.

Nonny taught Alison some multiplication problems during dinner...Alison just soaked it all up.


Bonus to having dinner the night before; we had easy, yummy leftovers for Easter!

1 comment:

edj3 said...

Aww this makes my heart melt. Hurrah for a fantastic visit with Nonny & Pawpaw.