November 18, 2015

School room rearranged

Old room:


"New" room:

I sit in the middle, with all of our materials behind me so I can dish out work in a more efficient way and be right there to help/teach as they needed.

I thought the rearrangement worked really well for us.  We definitely got more done!  Because everything was literally right at my feet, I could easily hand them something extra to do while they waited.  For example, Alison's math had us cut up an apple into fractions and then we used the apple slices to stamp leaves onto fall trees.



Literally at my feet had some consequences though.  I didn't have room for my own stuff since I gave up my desk for Colin's workspace.  So I set my cup of water on the floor and while turning around to get a book, I put my entire foot in the cup of water.  The kids thought it was hysterical...I knew there needed to be some tweaking to this arrangement.  Ben came home from work, walked in the new room and instantly new how to make it better.  How does he do that?!  He fixed the room for me and then went to start dinner so I could finish putting stuff away and I am so thankful this man is home!!!


Now I can still use my desk when Colin isn't working and it looks a little more uniform.  The only problem I need to solve today is that Calendar you can see on the easel.  I had it taped up the wall, but it just keeps falling down.  So I stuck it on the easel until I could figure out a good calendar solution, and clearly that hasn't happened because it still says October.

No comments: