January 23, 2016

This week

We are in the middle of a snow storm, but I'm too cold to take a picture for you.  Maybe tomorrow...

But this week:

I went to tell Colin quiet time was over and found this:


Somehow I missed him turning his closet into a "bunkbed" and getting a snack and changing into pj's.  He's a sneaky one, I tell ya.


Alison has decided to start a club when we move to AZ to make new friends.  She's calling it the 'Gizmo Galz' club, for homeschool girls ages 8-10.  She spent a good chunk of time this week making fliers and thinking about what this club entails.  We've been talking a lot about making new friends and it was nice to see her get excited about meeting people.  She wants her club to meet once a week and go on a nature walk and make a collection of artifacts they find each week. 


Eli spent a good chunk of time on his own project.   He reassembled the Minecraft lego house, finding all the pieces and following the instructions to put it back together.  It was impressive and he carried his masterpiece around with him for a good 24 hours.  Then, I had the biggest mommy fail of the century.  He asked me to help him put ONE piece back on and when I pressed the piece, the entire house crumbled!  Completely crumbled...all his work gone in an instant because I tried to help.  He tried to brush it off, but when I looked him in the eyes and apologized for accidentally ruining his creation, he too crumbled.  Like any good parent, I said, "Hey!  I'll help you put it back together!" and then I looked at the instructions and realized that my 5 year old is smarter than I am and there was no way I could figure it out.  So this was our compromise; I put a coffee table (i.e. new building table) in his room so he didn't have to build on the floor and then he told me where I could sit, a safe distance from the legos, and I watched him put it back together.  Maybe all little boys are amazing at legos, but this particular little boy is astounding.


I guess all the projects going on in the house wore Colin out because he crashed on the way to gymnastics and didn't wake up when I took him out of the car.  He slept for most of gymnastics and I had to document perhaps the last time one of my kids sleeps on me in public.  I was certainly not complaining about the extra snuggle time while I got to watch the other two tumble around.


Yesterday, schools closed and Ben was sent home from work around 11 am for the predicted snow storm.  We thought it would just be rain, but were wrong and it's been snowing hard since.  Our kids were bummed when the Shear Academy remained open, but snow day=daddy teaching grammar!  I was thankful for the little break on this particular subject.


Alison was supposed to have a gymnastics show today, but everything has been closed down and it got moved to right before we move.  I'm praying it doesn't snow then too!

No comments: