November 13, 2017

Our 2nd Marine Ball


This year was a mix of emotions for me.  
First, I got a new dress and shoes and even got my hair done.  However, I felt "eh" about it...it worked but I wasn't super excited about it.

Second, I was overwhelmingly proud of Ben.  The CO personally moved Ben to the first table, to be seated with himself, the XO and the guest speaker.  This just spoke volumes to me of how much Ben is respected in his job.  My side of it=freaking out inside at being in the spotlight and having NO IDEA what I was doing.  Ben told me just to watch what everyone else did, but I quickly realized that I was at the front of the ceremony and everyone was watching what I was doing.  Face palm.  Why didn't they add this into that chaplain wife school thing I went to?

 The lighting was terrible and pictures were not picturesque: by our table, at the front of the ceremony.

Ben opened the ceremony in prayer.

 

And if that didn't speak loud enough to me, the many marines that came up to him before and after the ceremony did.  Let me tell you, Ben is doing mighty things!  Point in case, this marine (I should know his name!) asked for a picture taken.  I've met his wife once before and we chatted some about homeschooling and life in Yuma, but let me tell you, her husband really looks up to Ben.
 

 Maybe we were the only ones who didn't get professional pictures, but we attempted a selfie in every spot of the venue to try to get good light..it was a fail.


Third, it was a little hard to see a part of Ben's life that I wasn't a part of.  All of the marines there were deployed together and each person Ben introduced me to, had a story of something they did together during life in Bahrain.  On one hand, it was amazing to see him in his element and be thriving in his work and on the other hand, it was like a camp reunion but I hadn't been at camp. 

BUT, it made me all the more thankful for this friend.  I met Alyssa right before the last ball and she helped me survive two balls and a long deployment.


Maybe by next year I'll have this ball thing down a little better.  Until then, I'll just be thankful that there are no deployments this year!

No comments: