November 6, 2017

The Grand Canyon!

We met my parents in Flagstaff on Wednesday night and started our adventure with dinner at Wildflower Cafe.


Thursday morning, we drove up to the Grand Canyon.  This has been on my dad's "bucket list" for a long time and it was amazing to be there to experience it with him.  I should have switched places with Ben so he could capture his face, but this is my reaction to my dad's reaction:


I don't think I've ever seen him smile so big.
 

You really can't put into words what it's like to see the Grand Canyon.  It's an experience that no picture can capture.


 

  We asked a gentleman to take our picture and he left us a picture of his finger so we never forget his kindness :)  Maybe we should just note that my daughter is almost as tall as me at age 10.


We had lunch at a lodge in Grand Canyon city (if I were writing a travel blog, I would recommend bringing a picnic lunch in instead) and then Ben, dad and I went on a hike down into the canyon.


 We were passed by a line of mules and saw a handful of other people, all who said hello...I love how friendly people are up there!

The hike was incredible.  We thought we would go much further than we did, but time and distance seemed greater in the canyon.  3.5 miles, 1,000 feet in elevation, a narrow and steep path and views that I will never forget.  How we felt when we got back up to the top:


My mom kept the kids entertained at the rim.  They went in a couple of gift shops, got a snack and soaked up some views.


When we met up with them, grandpa was ready for some sherbet.


Friday, we went to our favorite park and walked around downtown Flagstaff.


We stopped in Sedona for lunch and an outlet mall outside of Pheonix before heading home.  It was a very packed few days, but a trip of a lifetime.

1 comment:

edj3 said...

Oh that's so incredibly wonderful! So cool your dad got to see that with you guys.