August 8, 2009

Not my baby girl anymore

Ben's last "project" for Alison's room

Since this blog is mainly about Alison, I find it only fitting to a moment to brag on my little peanut. It amazes me how much can change in the life of a child in a matter of days. We started the week saying good-bye to the crib, the next day Alison said adios to her booster seat at the dinner table and Wednesday we said bye-bye to the last diaper. By today, Alison peed on the potty 7 times and pooped! This may not be blog appropriate, but I'm documenting milestones in her life. 2yrs and 1 week...potty trained. There are so many different opinions out there on potty training I somewhat hesitate to publicize her accomplishments. However, I realized this week something that has taken 2 years to sink in-it's all about knowing MY child. I can read and listen to thousands of pieces of information and advice, but it all comes down to what I know about my daughter. I knew Alison was ready, but I wasn't. Last week we were at the store standing in the diaper aisle and I had out all my coupons trying to find the best deal and it hit me-I am so done with diapers! She handled switching to big bed so well I realized that I just needed to take the plunge and teach her how to pee on the potty. Wednesday morning we said bye-bye diapers and she had 3 accidents and no success. We talked about how we don't pee on Elmo or the kitchen chairs (that seemed to be a favorite) and by Thursday it clicked. I've been putting a diaper (I bought a different kind and convinced her they were bedtime panties) on her during nap time, bed time and when we go to the Y, but she has kept them all dry. I don't know when to say she's officially potty trained, but I think she's done an amazing job and learned the whole thing very quickly. It does make me a little sad that she's no longer my baby, but I'm so proud of her.

This evening we were working on somersaults. Oh, I hope this video makes others laugh as hard as I was. Just looking at Alison's outfit is enough to make me burst into laughter. I admit she's not been very clothed the last few days since her clothes are off and on so much, but the shoes-she added those herself.

1 comment:

edj3 said...

Oh she's really communicating with you two--that's so clear from the video. Wow. She's hit a huge milestone, I'm grinning and sad and happy all at the same time, if that makes any sense at all.

ps LOVED the thank you note :)