June 7, 2014

Blueberry picking

We went on our annual strawberry picking trip this week.  We went to the same farm we always go to, but this time chose to go on a weekday evening when it was quiet instead of a busy weekend day.  It was so nice to have the farm to ourselves and not have to worry about the kids running around.  Sadly, we went at the very end of the season and were told we probably would not be able to fill our basket with good strawberries.  BUT they had blueberries this year, so we filled 2 quarts of blueberries and had lots of fresh strawberry ice cream instead.  I think the kids actually enjoyed picking blueberries more because they didn't have to dig around on the ground to find good berries.  Instead, they could just stand by a tree and find the blue ones.  Eliot was the happiest of us all...all of his blueberries went in his belly and none got in the bucket.





I packed a picnic dinner, but we had ice cream instead.  This is seriously the best ice cream I have ever had and is definitely worth the drive and the money.  Colin usually doesn't care for ice cream, so I didn't get him his own...big mistake.  Note to self: next year buy more ice cream!!!

 

It was a warm evening and we left the moment Alison got home from school, so I didn't think much when she was sweaty and tired like the rest of us.

She sat with Colin and they sipped water while we finished picking.

We had no idea that she was actually sick and running a fever.  This is a prime example of why I believe something is really wrong when she tells me she doesn't feel good.  She ran a high fever for 2 days after this outing and the whole time said "I feel fine, just a little thirsty.  Can we go to the park?"


She missed her school field trip and spent the next couple of days eating popsicles.


I felt so guilty for not knowing she didn't feel good, but I am so glad we made the trip out to the farm.  The next day, Eli said, "It was really fun picking blueberries.  I love blueberries."  For him to say he enjoyed it is a big deal.  Now I just am praying he doesn't get Alison's virus.

1 comment:

Judith said...

Amy was a great little hiker so one day when she was five and asked to be carried, we said 'no', just keep hiking. We were mortified to arrive home and discover that she had a low grade temp and a couple chicken pox. Such unsympathetic parents we had been.