June 13, 2014

Goodbye 1st Grade

Alison at her table...back yellow

Yesterday Alison's class had an end of year ice cream party.  Before the party, Mrs. Lyons gave each student an award.  She was very creative and gave them each a box of candy and an encouraging award to go with it.  Alison got the Spree Award for always finishing her work on time and helping to keep others on track.

The party was great and I was thankful I hired a sitter to watch the boys while I went...helping 26 kids make sundaes was crazy and messy.



Today, was the last day of school and they celebrated summer birthdays.  I super appreciated that her teacher did this for Alison and it was a very big deal to her.  The boys and I took her lunch and treats to share with her class.   



1st grade has been great.  Really, truly, great and I know we were spoiled.  She never had homework or projects and never "clipped down" (they have a behavior chart and she never misbehaved).  I loved her teacher; she was an awesome combination of cheerful/loving and strict/in control).  I always felt like Alison was in good hands and she thrived in school.  Yesterday, she was 1 of 3 kids in her class to get a ribbon for their reading program.  She was a goal boaster every 9 weeks and is reading on a 4th grade level.  I wish I could tell you exactly what the ribbon and goal buster mean, but I can't.  All I know is that she passed a lot of reading tests and scored high.

She brought home her journal from school.  Every Monday they wrote about their weekend.  This journal will be kept forever because every page cracked me up.  I love her observations about our everyday life...I'm trying to convince her to keep doing this through the summer.

 "I remember last year on Thanksgiving I played chess with my dad and uncle but I never win."
Yes, this is Ben Shear's daughter...no doubt.


"On my break I had a pretend Christmas, because my grandparents won't be here on Christmas except my Poppy.

She wrote one about going to the zoo with our friends and noted that I took lunch with us instead of buying it there.  It just cracked me up that stuck out to her so much...aren't picnic lunches supposed to be fun?

I've heard 2nd grade is a kick in the behind, so I'm going to enjoy our relaxing summer.


1 comment:

edj3 said...

Those stories are great! I hope she keeps writing them too.