June 18, 2014

Happy Farthers Day


Becoming a daddy.
Alison Louise

 So, let's be honest.  It wasn't easy.  Alison's birth wasn't pretty and she came with a slew of hurdles.  Plus, this daddy had to deal with a new momma who wasn't handling being a new momma very well.  But Ben was strong and supportive as we ventured into this parenting world together.

I realized this Father's Day that most Father's Day sentiments are really self centered.  I could write a page about how amazing Ben is, because he is, but you would only be thinking "Wow, Jen is so sweet" instead of thinking "Wow, Ben really is a great dad".  I thought a lot about how to make this edifying to Ben and not to me and the only thing I can think of is to state the facts about Ben as a dad.

Eliot James

1.  He is gracious and patient and calm when parenting the kids.
2. He always gave our babies baths.
3.  He sings to them every single day.  Whether it's a made-up goofy song, or hymn, or goodnight lullybye, there is always music coming from him.
4. He cannot handle the kids playing in the music room or on the stairs or sitting on counters or standing on chairs.
5.  He takes time to teach them and explain things that are complex.
6.  He literally growls at them if they wake him up in the morning, but quickly scoops them into bed to snuggle.
7.  He stretches our kids, but never tries to make them someone they are not.
8.  He can fix any misbehavior with one simple word in "the daddy voice"
9.  He cannot even look at one of our kids covered in food after a messy meal.  It's okay, he wipes all of their snotty noses for me, so it's even.
10.  He plays Angry Birds with Eliot.  May seem silly, but it means the world to that little boy.

Colin William

Years ago, when I pictured our family, I never really thought about what kind of dad I wanted for my kids.  Husband?  Sure, I had a long checklist.  But never thought about qualities in raising children.  There is one more fact about Ben Shear that I learn early on; he is way more than I could have ever put on any list.  God knew what I needed and the dad that our kids needed and he blessed us with Ben.


No comments: