May 14, 2015

Busch Gardens

Last Friday, we surprised the kids with a trip to Busch Gardens.  Ben took the day off work (are you sensing a trend?  He's taking lots of family days before he leaves and I'm soaking it up) and after breakfast we told the kids to get dressed, but get in the car instead of going to the school room.  They were so excited and definitely surprised.  We made it to the park just as it was opening, although I don't think that it gave us much advantage...apparently there was a big music festival going on and there were a bazillion middle schoolers with band shirts on running around the park.

Riding the trolley into the park

I think this is the 4th picture we have of Alison like this...she sure does love her maps.


 The kids had a blast riding new rides.  We even saw some friends from gym/swim class and they got to do go-carts with them.

It took him half the time to figure out how to drive, but he still loved it






  

 

Colin went down this slide for a good 20 minutes while Alison rode a nearby ride and Eli played in the water.
 

We rode the gondola across the park, twice.  To be honest, we did it to save time and energy, but the kids thought it was the best ride of the day.



The boys were most excited to go to Sesame World and see Elmo.  When we got there, Alison ran up and gave him and hug


and the boys were scared out of their mind.  They would not go near him and Colin even started crying as he clung to me.  Afterwards, he kept asking Ben why Elmo was so tall.


We went to see a pet show, where dogs, cats, birds and pigs do tricks. I have yet to figure out why our 2 older kids don't show excitement.  They sat there stoically, not a single laugh or grin or clap, but afterward raved how awesome it was.  Maybe it's because Colin is excited enough for everyone.


Then we went to eat lunch in "Germany" (the park is divided up into Countries).  They gave the kids a hat and Colin wore his most of the day.



We picked some souvenirs and some treats and rode the train.

My favorite pictures of the day:

 


The day was just about perfect.  The kids had great attitudes, even after a long day, full of lots of walking and new adventures.  I loved getting caught up in the joy of being a kid with them and seeing all of their beautiful smiles.

Everything was perfect until the very end.

At the end of the park, they had a Coke display and you could get your name printed on a can.  Ben and I were super excited about free coke...until it came out warm.  There's nothing like the anticipating a cold, refreshing drink on a hot day and getting a warm coke.

Colin was starting to get lethargic while we were waiting for our cokes.  But with the factors of heat and being an eventful day and past nap time, we didn't think anything of it.  We finally made it to the car, buckled him in and as we pulled out of the parking lot, Colin said, "I'M GOING TO THROW UP!".  Praise the Lord I had a stash of plastic bags and paper towels under his seat because he did, in fact, throw up.  My always quiet Eli, proceeded to give a running commentary while he was puking.  "I guess Colin's sick and we can't go anywhere and will have to stay home and miss everything fun and I didn't know Colin was sick but I'm sure glad he told us and look at that he's still barfing."  He slept the rest of the way home and woke up his normal self...thankgoodness.  My gut tells me that the carousel ride after lunch upset his stomach and the heat and tiredness made it worse and then we put him in a hot car and his body said "NO!".  All is well now, but Alison has since said that we cannot go back because she doesn't ever want to see Colin throw up again.

2 comments:

edj3 said...

I shouldn't laugh at Eli's commentary about Colin puking . . . but I did :)

Jamie said...

I laughed out loud when I read what Eli was saying while poor Colin threw up. You did an awesome job capturing that memory!! Love this post. The pictures are great, and I'm so glad you guys got to have an awesome family day!!