March 27, 2020

Social Distancing

This new term has certainly created a weird vibe in society.  I wouldn't have said before that I live *close* to people, but when you see a line of people all standing 6 feet apart, it puts life in perspective.


This was my view, while waiting to go into Trader Joe's.  They were only letting a few people go into the store at one time, and people had formed a line outside the closed doors, for their turn.  I found it really interesting how single people formed this "social distance" line, even when there wasn't a sign or an employee instructing them to do so.  On the positive side, once inside, they were well stocked on food and everyone was still just as cheery and friendly as ever.  When I went to check out, they had blue tape on the tile to show you were to stand to wait in line and then a box in front of the cashier, to show you were to stand while checking out.  California creates an extra odd air with the bags.  Usually, you are encouraged to bring your own, reusable bag, or you have to pay extra money.  Now, they won't even touch your bag.  I totally understand and actually felt bad for the employees that had to explain this new system over and over.

Grocery shopping has been making me feel like I'm in a movie; people are wearing gloves and masks and not talking to one another.

I'm thankful that running was already in my life, as it's one of the few things that you can still do and is great for sorting through all these weird things.  They have now put this sign up at the beginning of the bike path I run on pretty much every day.


I've loved seeing more people out than usually, especially when I see a family enjoying time together.  Social distancing creates some funny moments when people are trying to pass each other at a wide distance, but it's still great just to see people.

Maya loves quarantine.  It's her favorite.  We're all home, all of the time (Ben has worked from home several days) and she gets a walk pretty much every day.


I love that this trail is just half a mile from our house.

The kids have ridden their bikes (the only thing they can do that doesn't involve touching the same thing or being close to one another) some with the neighbors, but have not played outside nearly as much as usual.  Tonight, Colin asked if he could make some money so he could buy some things on the xbox so he can play games with Eli.  I asked him to make me a list of jobs he could do...

No comments: