September 30, 2009

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand." Proverbs 19:21

A year and a half ago, we put our house in Michigan on the market. Our plan was to sell our starter house, move into a bigger house in a nicer neighborhood and start expanding the Shear clan. Many were our plans, but the purpose of the Lord was much bigger. I would never have imagined the plans that the Lord had for us. Instead of moving a couple of suburbs north in Michigan, we moved 3 states south to Virginia. Instead of making money and getting a larger house, we lost lots of money and are renting a 2 bedroom condo. Instead of having a 9 month old crawling around the house, we are blessed with a 10 week old in utero. Though it's not what we planned for our future, I wouldn't ask to change a thing. I am completely confident that this is where we are supposed to be and it was worth all of the hardship to be here. Our house in Michigan officially closed today, after sitting empty for a year and has had an offer on it for 8 months. Relief is slowing sinking in, especially financially. Ben and I were both surprised by the feelings that came up today. We've talked for months how excited we would be on this day and how much we would celebrate. However, both of us felt like it was a little bittersweet. Yes, it's all done, but that was also a special house in our life. I find myself thinking, 'now what?'. I feel like we're back to ground zero, if not below ground zero in the housing market which scares me at this stage in life. Our lease on the condo is up at the end of December and we're looking to rent a 3 bedroom house. It's going to be a hard search, but one Ben and I both feel will be a good move for our family. Housing is expensive in Smithfield, and our goal is to find something cheaper so we can start saving for another down payment. This move will also mean we have to move over Christmas again, but hopefully will give us more bedrooms for our growing family and will enable us to one day be in our own house again. Just like selling our house in Michigan, I feel like it's going to take the Lord to move mountains for this to actually happen...good thing He can! Since moving to Virginia I've been asking myself what the Lord is teaching me through all of this waiting. First thing I thought was, 'don't ask the Lord for patience, or He'll give you something to be patient about'. But I don't think that's what it is. I think my answer lies in my aboundant question of 'what now?'. I need to be the proverbs 31 woman who "laughs at the days to come". I'm definitely not there, but am praying that the Lord will help me get there. Get to the place where I don't worry about where we'll be living or how many kids we have. I pray that as this door closes I won't be afraid of the future and will leave my life plans up to the Lord.

No comments: