March 22, 2012

The Flowering Cross


I got out our Easter decorations and books this past week. I definitely need to work on my collection, but I think we may have started a new tradition that will help.

We read the book 'The Flowering Cross' by Beth Ryan, and for all you parents of young children out there, I highly recommend it. In the book, on Easter, every person puts a flower on a cross to say thank you to Jesus for dying on the cross for our sins.


Alison asked if we could make our own flowering cross and I thought it was an idea that I just couldn't pass up. So after a few bucks spent at the Dollar Store on foam and fake flowers (the kids got to pick their own special flowers), we had our own Flowering Cross. Alright, it really just looks like a flower blob, but it was a great opportunity to talk with the kids about what Jesus did for us and why we celebrate Easter. The "blob" is now on our fire place and is a great reminder for us to thank Jesus every day for what he has done for us. Hopefully next year we can make an upgrade and it will really look like a cross.

No comments: