March 18, 2012

St. Patrick's Day 2012

We began our festive day with some yummy green eggs.
Then we went outside and taught Eli how to ride his new motorcycle (thanks Coburn's for handing this down-it's a hit!)

We spent the rest of the morning helping daddy spend some birthday money and had lunch at Arby's...a new favorite in our family. We finally realized that our kid's don't really like Chick-fil-A (our "normal" stop), but 3 things off the dollar menu at Arby's was a big hit for the both of them. I'm going to greatly miss being able to feed 2 kids at a restaurant for $3. And what can I say, I'm pregnant and can't resist their curly fries with a side of cheddar and an apple turnover.

Later that afternoon I printed off a shamrock for Alison to color and talked with her about why we celebrate St. Patrick's day, which lead to a very interesting conversation. First I realized that I was far under prepared for my Ireland facts and details. But I wanted to keep it simple. I explained that St. Patrick was a Christian who shared his love for Jesus with others and used the shamrock as a tool to illustrate the trinity. I asked her if she knew what it meant to be a Christian. She said no, so I told her it was a person who believes in Jesus and loves Him with their whole heart. I asked her if she believes and loves Jesus and she paused with a thoughtful look on her face. She said, "I think so. Are you a Christian Mommy?" I said yes and then she said, "Okay, then I am too!" Little conversations like this always speak hugely to me. I know my little girl knows "Christian" answers forward and backwards...she knows her catechism, bible verses and stories, but non of it matters if she doesn't have it in her heart. However, what is her biggest influence? ME. Does she know I love Jesus? Does she hear me speak His name and not just read hear stories? I pray hard that my love for Jesus pours over onto my children and they too will love Him with their whole hearts.

After dinner we had green snicker doodles, and for some reason, the picture op turned into a "show your muscles" picture.

*Please note that I did not persuade the following pictures*

After dinner, Alison asked if she could wash the dishes.
I love how she sticks out her tongue when she's working really hard.


While the sink was being occupied, I picked up the broom. Eli came and took it from me.
"I help, Momma"

So here are my helpers and Mother's day is looking a little more promising in the coming years. It does make me wonder, do they see me clean too much?

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I do the tongue thing when concentrating too; it must be a cool girl gene. :)

Jamie said...

YAY! I'm so glad he likes the bike. I love what you shared about the influence you have on your children in sharing the message. It's a sweet reminder that we have to be the message.

Kyle & Lydia said...

Andrew used to show his muscle by sticking out his elbow...it was super cute!