September 27, 2015

Thank you Nor'easter

We should be getting ready to go to the base to pick up Ben...but we're not.  Thanks to the Nor'easter, the ship is still down in Florida waiting for the storm to die down and will hopefully be home Tuesday.  We are seeing the affects of the storm here.  High winds and lots of rain and did they cancel soccer?  Oh no.  Because apparently 8 year olds are tough enough to play in storms.  

Alison still had soccer pictures and a game yesterday morning, so we spent the entire morning out in the storm.  We spent a chunk of time in the car waiting (I was praying they would send everyone home!).  The boys played Minecraft and we sent silly pictures to daddy.



I confess that I bribed Alison.  She was feeling anxious about soccer even without the rain factor.  So I told her that I would pay her $0.25 for every time she touched the ball.  She said that it helped her feel less nervous about the game and she did actually touch the ball 3 times, which is huge for her!  

Alison confessed that she wanted to quit playing after the game was done, but she had a great attitude and tried to have fun playing in the rain.  The boys and I huddled under the umbrella, but still got very wet. 


It was not my favorite day.  I'm proud of us for sticking it out but looking back, I kinda wish I would have pulled her out of the game.  I get the vibe that they forget they're just 8 year olds and if she gets sick from it, I'll really be kicking myself.  We're just not hard-core sports people.
 

Right after the game, we went to a birthday party.  It was a "bounce" party and the kids were supposed to be outside in the bounce house, but again, thank you rain.  They jumped in it some, but it got too slick and ended up doing crafts inside.
 

They did the pinata on the porch, but when the candy fell out, it went flying into the pouring rain and the kids got even more soaked trying to get their treats.
 

We came home to warm showers and pj's! 
 Hopefully Ben will be home this week!  I'm sure we'll have to wait in the rain for him, but it will be worth it!

1 comment:

edj3 said...

Yuuuuuuuuuuuck to soccer in a nor'easter. That sounds completely miserable.