February 8, 2020

The Truth about February

Here's a cute throwback picture for you to look at while I talk about the hard truths of February.
February 2013...I still have that sweater...


I need to somehow tag this post, so that it will pop up and remind me every February.
DO NOT FORGET
that
February is the month of forgetting.

Suddenly, kids have forgotten EVERYTHING.  Down to the basics of life. 

Mom: "Have you eaten breakfast?"  
They look at you with a puzzled look.
Kids: "Breakfast???  Um...no."

Mom: "Did you put away your breakfast dishes?"
Kid:  "Is that a thing we do?"

Mom"Is your math finished?"
Kid: "Was I supposed to do math today?"
Mom:  "Yes.  And by the way, you are still in your pajamas...you were supposed to get dressed 3 hours ago."
Kid: "That's weird.  I thought this was just a day to do nothing."


I wish I was exaggerating.   Every little thing you ask them to do, they look at you like you have 3 heads.  You open the school books and suddenly, everything looks like it's written in French to them.  And I'm not alone, this is apparently a very common thing.

It's also a month to forget everything you have planned...because it ain't going to happen.  Since the kids brained have now turned to molasses, it makes actually getting to anything have planned, impossible.

I really want to do some more research into this, but for now, it's making me rethink how I approach school during February in the coming years.  Ideally, I would make it a review month.

I think it has something to do with this cycle:
August=Summer fun all day long
September=Start school.  Everything is new and exciting and kids are just being introduced to concepts
October=Getting into the swing of school life and they have Halloween sugar-fest to look forward to.
November=Light school as Thanksgiving and family visits fill the weeks
December=Distracted school that is full of baking yummy treats and doing fun crafts and watching movies and the excitement of Christmas fills the air.
January=New Year, New You!  Just kidding.  The let down of Christmas hits and there is a 99% chance the family will get sick, which equals more light school.
February="Oh, we're still doing this school thing?"  You're over the sickness and the holidays and it's like starting from scratch.

It's a good thing we year round homeschool!

No comments: