February 1, 2020

Lydia came to California!


Lydia came to the LA area for a conference and I jumped on the chance to see her.  She had an early flight and evening conference, so I picked her up from the airport and whisked her away to Santa Monica for the afternoon.  We strolled along the Pier and had lunch at the seafood restaurant at the very end.  It was perfection; amazing food, beautiful scenery and a best friend.



 We had planned to also go to Hollywood, but Friday traffic said otherwise, so we just sat on the beach and talked.  Neither of us were complaining.  She'll just have to come back and see Hollywood...


Lyd still got a good taste of real LA traffic as we crawled through it for 2 hours to get to her conference.  
She came to sell her book and I got to help her set up her table.  I was already impressed with her work on the book, but her marketing skills take it to another level.


It was a really cool moment for me.  I got to be there when Lyd was first writing the book and was the first person to read the rough draft.  She asked me to use the book with my kids to work out any kinks and I can honestly say it is the best book I've ever read.  I have read many, many children's devotional books, but Lydia's is the first to bring kids into the conversation, instead of the parent just preaching to them.  Being college roommates, I was there to see her start studying marketing and now, many moons later, I get to see her work those skills.  More than that, I was blown away by how she's done this all on her own.  No one told her to write a book.  No one held her hand through the editing or guided her through how to publish it (again independently) or how print posters or taught her how to give a presentation.  She just jumped in with confidence and did it.


No comments: