January 21, 2009

Lessons Learned

I finally found swim diapers today. I've been excited to take Alison swimming since we joined the Y and I was told that swim diapers were easy to come by around here since it's so warm and we're close to the water. I finally found some after a couple of stores and dug through boxes tonight to find Alison's swim suit. I was curious to see if they still fit. They're both 12-18 month, but her little belly is much bigger now. This is Alison a year ago in the same swimsuit we squeezed her in tonight.
Yesterday was full of many lessons. Alison learned that it is very naughty to climb on top of the kitchen table and open the jar of peanut butter. I learned that nighttime oral gel equals only being up once at night, instead of 6 and Ben, well Ben learned the biggest lesson of all. Ben learned not to put a baking sheet on the bottom of the oven. Now this is a sad, but somewhat funny story. Ben will randomly think of something he wants to eat and will go to great lengths to make it. Some of these creations have been Auntie Annie's pretzels, jalapeno poppers and the best ever oatmeal cookies. This week Ben decided he wanted gyros. So after planning and shopping and prepping, the cooking began. While the meat was in the oven it began to drip, so Ben put a cookie sheet underneath it so our brand new oven would stay sparkling clean. After the meal he left the cookie sheet in the oven to let it cool down before he washed it. Well, he forgot to take it out and I found it yesterday when I put some bread in for dinner. I grabbed a dish towel to take the sheet out but it wouldn't budge and the towel began to char. Ben had put the sheet directly on the bottom of the oven and it melted to it! You could say I was pretty mad. Ben took a whack at getting out. He wanted to use a knife but I suggested not making matters worse. So he grabbed a wooden spoon and shoved it in between the cookie sheet and the bottom of the oven. The spoon caught on fire and the cookie sheet now is folded in half. He eventually was able to get it out and the cookie sheet and spoon are in the trash. My poor new oven has part of a baking sheet stuck on it and I don't know how to fix it. I tried SOS pads and they did nothing. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

edj3 said...

First, love the before and after pictures of Alison w/ the swimsuit. She's really moved out of babyhood and looks like a little girl now.

I thought about your stove issue but I think anything you could do that would get the baked pan bits off your oven would probably damage the oven. What a shame but at least it sounds like you are laughing about it, not crying.

Andrea said...

I think you should try the steel wool that is what I would do. You can't make it any worse!