April 7, 2012

A Historic Event

My dad came to visit us this past week!
My mom was supposed to join him, but unfortunately got sick at the last minute and wasn't able to come. The doctor suspects she has shingles and can't be around kids or pregnant women for several weeks-which would pretty much sum up this house.

Time with my dad was a very sweet thing for me.
As an adult, most of the time I get with him is full of other people and events.
But there were no conference calls, emails to return, boat runs to make or fishing trips.
It was just us and some sweet family time.


The first day, my dad took Ben and Alison on a shopping extravaganza.
They were perhaps the happiest people on the face of the planet. Let's just say, Ben got some new hunting supplies and Alison won herself a whole new wardrobe, lunch at Chick-fil-A and a bag of gummy worms.


I had asked my dad if he could help us with some yard work when he was here.
I was thinking fun things like planting pretty flowers and herbs, but it was much too cold and a little too early for my plans. But, he was able to help Ben cut down some trees, remove some stumps and trim up all the bushes.


He also treated the kids to a lunchable picnic, spent lots of time playing outside and games with them, gave baths, told them stories, helped us make a baby name list and gave us a crash course on Dave Ramsey. There was LOTS of gun, fishing and basketball talk and a little pingpong in there too.

Alison's trying to spice up Grandpa's fishing story

I know I will forever cherish this time we had.
I'm sorry my mom was sick, but it was a blessing to still have some time with Grandpa.
Hopefully we'll get some again when Surprise Baby is born!

3 comments:

edj3 said...

Awww what a great visit. I am so glad you had that time with your dad.

Jamie said...

Wow. This almost made me cry! I know how much this meant to you, and I am so thankful you had such a special visit!

katherine said...

How fun. Grandparents are the best.