April 21, 2012

In the Beginning of Potty Training

We began the process of potty training this week. I attempted to teach Eli to stand in front of the big potty, thinking it would eliminate several transitions. However, it quickly proved to be very frustrating for everyone in the house and resulted in lots of tears by Eliot and Mommy. I found that putting our "little potty" in a central location worked a lot better. He was much more comfortable to just sit and play, while he waited to go potty.Potty Training is lots of fun when you have a remote control car and a big sister to entertain you.

We had one really good day. He would stop himself every time he started to go in his underwear and would say, "Oh Uh! Potty!". He successfully went pee in the potty 4 times and acted like it was no big deal. I was encouraged by his amazing work and ability to recognize what he was feeling.

He was doing so well that we even went out to play...a very exciting thing after we'd been in the house for 2 days. Here he is, squashing a worm:
For some reason, he's started holding his neck when I ask him to look at me.
Strange, but super cute.

Alison took the opportunity to practice on her new roller skates.

It was also on this "good" potty training day that Eli locked me and Alison out of the house.
Boys!
Alison would never have done something like that!
A friend was dropping something off, so I stepped out on the porch to get it but I made Eli stay inside because he was naked. A few seconds later the door shut and Jamie asked, "Do you think there's anyway he could have locked that?" You see, Jamie has a son and praise the Lord she was there right then. Yes, he definitely locked that door and then proceeded to climb up in the window sill of the playroom and flash his naked booty for all the neighborhood to see. Thankfully, at that same moment, my neighbor was pulling in the driveway and Jamie went to ask for our spare key. Thank goodness for friends, neighbors and spare keys. Now it's time for a back-up emergency plan!
Playing dress up with Sissy

Day 3 of training came and we realized that poor Eli was a little "backed up" so we paused for a couple of days to get him back on track. To be honest, I forgot how much hard work potty training is for the mommy. Eli did great; however, I was beginning to have a nervous break down (pregnant hormones were not helping the situation). I remember Alison being easy to train, but I forgot the months of training that went into it...and the fact that she was the only kid in the house. It's a start and we'll slowly work on it as we can.

1 comment:

edj3 said...

This post made me giggle this morning :-)