April 9, 2012

A Transition for Mommy

As the debate and search for a name for Surprise Baby continues, it has made us think more and more about Alison and Eliot's names. Whatever we choose has to blend with theirs...I mean shouting, "Alison, Eliot and Sebastian!" just sounds silly. Yes, joking about silly names has also been common around here.

The debate has also made me realize how much it bothers Alison that I call Eliot, Eli. Ben, Alison and pretty much our entire extended family calls him Eliot. I call him Eli and therefore, most of my friends call him Eli. But anytime I introduce him to someone, Alison corrects me. She'll often say, "You mean Eliot" or "His name is Eliot" and up until now I took it as her being snotty and would give her a "chat" about being respectful. But the other day I realized she was entitled to feelings too, and asked her if it really bothered her that I called him Eli and if it would make her happy if I called him Eliot, like her and Daddy. "YES!" she exclaimed and went running to Ben to tell him the good news.

So for Mommy's transition, I am working hard on calling my son Eliot. I will still call him Eli occasionally, because I'm his mommy and I get that right. But for the unity of our little family, I have promised my little girl to work on introducing him as Eliot. I still can't believe how hard naming children is for me and Ben!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

If you call him Eliott, that makes a certain name fit super well into the Shear mix! Just sayin' :)

edj3 said...

We struggled to find names too and made things worse by telling our families ahead of time. Boy did we get negative flack over our names. I think that's one of the smartest things you and Ben did, deciding to not tell until the baby is born. People are less critical once the baby actually arrives.

Ben Shear said...

they're not less critical, just less willing to share that criticism!

edj3 said...

Oh I don't know. As long as you aren't naming this one something like Nincompoop, I'm good with whatever. Oh OK or Hezekiah :-)

alicia said...

Boy names are very hard for us too! We wanted things to flow with the other names as well. Good luck; you'll find something eventually! (we solidified our choice of names one week before Luca was born!)