December 8, 2016

Maya's first birthday

Yep, we are that family now.  Didn't think it would ever happen, but it's time to accept reality...we celebrated our dog's birthday.  We really don't know when Maya's real birthday is, but when we got her in March, they said she was 4 months old, so we Alison chose December 1st as her birthday.  

Another reality is it gave the kids something to look forward to.  Eli made a blower for her party.  I felt like this was the first time he made a craft all on his own (like decided to do it, figured out how to make it and executed it).


In the afternoon, Alison and I were sitting, petting Maya and talking.  Alison said, "Sometimes I can't believe we actually have a dog.  But sometimes I wish we had a normal dog."  Oh, I laughed so hard.  It's true that Maya has quirks and Ben jokes that we always seem to get the special needs pets.  But for all her scaredy dog quirks, I am so thankful that she's here. 


The kids really wanted to take Maya to the dog park and to Pet's Mart on her birthday. They had been eyeing a birthday bone for months. You haven't lived until you've taken a scared dog to Pets Mart!
It made me laugh that she wasn't even excited about the treat. That completely sums up this dog...she is picky and unpredictable. But I love it that the kids sang to her and it was a special day for them.

No comments: