August 20, 2008

No sleep

My running partner has ditched me for cross country. She's a cross country coach at a high school and practices have begun. So this morning while she ran 5.5 miles, I watched her son Luke (I think I got the better end of the bargain). Alison and Luke play really well together and I think I've mentioned before how brilliant this kid is. This morning I put on some music and he knew the words to every song and then counted to six. Most 18 month olds can't even say six! A couple of weeks ago he potty trained himself in a day and hasn't had an accident yet. So watching this kid is a breeze. They both were tired, but Alison refused to nap in her crib because she didn't want to miss out on a moment with Luke and Luke had no place to nap so he was out of luck. I attempted to have some "quiet time" but I only got this (see picture below) for a moment.

When Julie got back we all went to the zoo. I figured that Alison would fall asleep in the car and nap in the stroller while we walked through the zoo. When I pulled into the parking lot I just sat there wondering why I was at the zoo when my child was asleep and even if she was awake she doesn't even care about the animals. Alison woke up as soon as we were out of the car and I just reassured myself that it's still good to get out and get fresh air even if she doesn't look at the animals. Today was the first day that she did excited about something though. Penguins were the hit of the day. She would clap for them every time she saw them swim by. Again my assumptions were proven wrong on the way home. Typically Alison will fall asleep in the car and I can lay her down in her crib and she'll stay asleep for a good nap. I was expecting a long afternoon nap, but I got nothing. Never in her life has she had a day without a nap. I couldn't figure out what was keeping her up, but up she stayed all day long...and it was a long day.

Alison trying to get a ball under the chair.


Alison has a couple of words that are English, but the rest of the time she babbling what sounds like Chinese. I guess I should mention that she's really grumpy in the video but I wanted to give you a glimpse of the Chinese.

2 comments:

katherine said...

I love that you are raving about someone else's kid on your blog--so different from many mommy blogs out there. Luke does sound really smart. Baby tricks are so cute.

Also, you're doing really well proving Ben wrong. Go Jen!

edj3 said...

No kidding--I'm having a blast reading your entries. Love the babbling movie too, Kent was listening with me and loved it too.