December 20, 2011

Christmas Time!

I was very excited about the Christmas season this year. One my all time favorite things to do is watch Christmas movies by a lit tree and fire and work on a puzzle. My expectations had to be greatly adjusted this year as I found that every time I started an activity or movie, it was always interrupted, either by sickness or tiredness or little hands. But we did what we could. The house got halfway decorated. Cookies got halfway made. Movies got halfway watched. The border was done on the puzzle and then swept back into the box. But we enjoyed time relaxing together, reading Christmas books, listening to Christmas music and just soaking in the season.

I tried to make things with the kids that were traditional, but that they could help me make. We started with peanut butter cup cookies. Then we mixed up some Chex Mix. I LOVE the smell of chex mix roasting. It's definitely one of my favorite Christmas smells.We made a few gingerbread men and Alison decorated the snot out of them one morning while Eli watched his new favorite Christmas movie, 'Baby Einstein's Santa'. She wasn't happy about getting her picture taken, but the mess I cleaned up when she was done would prove that she really had a good time.
Kylie and Logan came over and helped us make some more gingerbread cookies and chocolate covered pretzels.We decorated ornaments, strung popcorn for garland and wrapped presents. We watched 'Charlie Brown Christmas' I think 7 times (it came on a particular day I was sicker than normal) and 'Alvin and the Chipmunks' Christmas movie.

Alison spent a good 2 days working on a Christmas card for Kylie and Logan.
I was overwhelmed by her determination and drive to write this. She knew what she wanted to say and would ask us to spell out words for her. Here's what the letter says:

Kylie and Logan,
Have a good Christmas. Have a good time opening presents at the Christmas tree. Have some fun with your family. I love you. I want an American Girl Doll and pillow pet for Christmas.

love,
Alison

I guess Alison wrote our Christmas card for us this year, because I'm not going to even attempt one. So from the Shear's, we hope you have a good Christmas!!

2 comments:

alicia said...

Merry Christmas to you!!

Diana said...

Mmmm, I haven't made Chez mix in forever and this makes me want some. :)
Merry Christmas!