December 3, 2011

The new playroom


After the tree was put up and furniture rearranged, I got this nagging feeling to rearrange the entire house. I love the way Christmas decorations make the house feel warm and cozy and I want to feel that way in every room of the house-not just the living room. So my adventure began to "warm up" the house. I say adventure because it began with every single toy we own dumped in the middle of the playroom, shelves in the middle of the hallway and kids/cats climbing through the obstacle of our house. I put the kids and cats in nap time and all right, I confess, I sat amongst the mess and cried. My "warmness" felt very cold. I do not like clutter or chaos and now my whole house was destroyed. And just when I thought my vision was coming together, I broke our school table. Yep, you read that right. Snapped the leg right off that big wooden table. Well, God must give husbands some special gift when they have pregnant wives. I thought for sure Ben would freak at the sight of our house when he got home, but instead he calmly stepped through the mounds of toys and furniture, miraculously fixed our table and lovingly told me that I am not allowed to move anymore furniture until Surprise Baby is born.

I finished the room the next day and Ben admitted that he loved the way it looked. I was pleasantly surprised how much the kids instantly used the room. Before, when it was just full of toys, we had to MAKE them go in there and play. Now, they will both go in there, climb up in the red chair and look at books. Alright, this is probably a silly post, but it meant a lot to me. I love seeing my kids sit and enjoy a book. I also love a room being functional and enjoyable...now I just have to figure out where we're going to put this baby and all of it's stuff.

3 comments:

Elizabeth and Nathan said...

So where did you put all of the toys?

Jen Shear said...

There are still some toy shelves in there, just on the walls you can't see. What didn't fit on the shelves was put in Eli's room.

edj3 said...

It looks really good. I especially like the red chair and ottoman in there. Very cozy :-)