May 17, 2012

29 Days


Daddy comes home in 29 days.
Before Ben left, he recorded a book for each of the kids.  I wrapped them up and "the mailman" delivered them yesterday.   Eliot was beyond confused how he could hear daddy, but not see daddy.  They've spent a lot of time listening to those books and I think just hearing his voice has given them a lot of comfort.


Rachel, Cierra and Madisyn are here this week to help me and I am beyond grateful for them!  They've played and played with the kids and Rachel helped me grocery shop and has cooked every meal.  They have saved me in so many ways.


So far, things have gone much better than I anticipated.  The kids' behavior has been far better than it was last week.  I've seen the Lord work in mighty ways since Ben's been gone; He's given me a peace and comfort that I've never experienced before.  I've felt him protect and guard my emotions and thoughts.  People have asked me if it's hard when I would normally expect Ben to be coming home from work, and I was shocked to realize that I hadn't even thought of that once.  Moments that are the hardest are when I see the kids miss him.  Ben made the kids a video of him singing goodnight to them...that definitely gets me every time.  I think it helps to count down the days, but to a 4 year old, 29 is a huge number and she often gets discouraged when she looks at the calendar.  I am so thankful for distraction and family here to help entertain and take care of us.

2 comments:

edj3 said...

Hurrah for family to be with you :-) I'm so glad this week has gone well. Love you!

lemming said...

When I was Ben's age, my parents made me a "tear off a page each day and daddy will be back when they're all gone" calendar. Naturally, I ripped off all of the page son the third day and was disappointed that it did notwork.